Tuesday, January 15

Modern Communications

Way back when I last dated (late eighties-mid nineties) the mobile phone and internet were in their infancy. They had been around for a while, but I didn’t have a PC at home. I was computer illiterate, I barely knew how to type. I was introduced to computers when I first started working in a office as a personal assistant and the mobile phone came a few year later.

Many years later and I live and breathe email/messenger/internet dating and you’d have to amputate a limb for me to give you my mobile.

I vaguely remember making dates in person (after meeting for the first time at random) or over the telephone. But once you’d left home there was no way to know if he’d still turn up. Now if you’ve been sat there a few minutes you just send a text, asking if he still intends to turn up Or if you are a real nerd (fyi - which I have a soft spot for), send an email via your blackberry.

There really is no reason to have a blind date anymore, because the sending of photos is so simple, often too simple. I really don’t need to see what his cock looks like before I see his face. I recently had a first meeting (with I guy I met online) where I told the guy I didn’t want any photos before and I didn’t send any. I told him what I’d be wearing and that was it. It was kinda nice, the mystery.

And of course something else new and excellent in my opinion is SMS flirting. Those short messages that say I’m still thinking about the naughty thing we did that come in at random times during the day and night, to give you a little flutter in your tummy. Now, that is a very good thing. Those flutters stop snacking.

Another use for the mobile is the booty call. That late night ‘I need a shag, buddy’ that we all feel like doing, but often don’t. I have a female acquaintance that has a code in her phone for booty calls guys. When she gets chatted up and phone numbers given to her by guys in bars (she’s tall, blonde and good looking, it happens often) she slots them into categories. Do Not Answer, Fuck Buddy and Potential Boyfriend. Maybe I’ll do the same.

How did we manage dating before mod comms?

No comments: