Sunday, September 14

Doppelganger

I went on a blind date while in the UK. I met him online, and we chatted freely. We talked on the phone and really got on. So we arranged to meet in a pub local to me. I texted him asking what drink I should get him if I arrived first. He said ‘Pimms’

‘Are you serious?’ I asked.

‘Oh yes’ he replied.

I let it pass and as it turned out, he got to the pub first. I walked through the garden to where he was sat…a single guy in a pub garden on a Wednesday night kinda stands out as waiting for someone. He was attractive but there was something about him. I couldn’t put my finger on it. It wasn’t that I felt unsafe. It wasn’t that I wasn’t attracted to him, I was.

We chatted about allsorts of thing and then he started talking about his love of a certain type of car. Then it hit me.

Suddenly I was very aware of what it was about him that felt wrong.

He was the spitting image of my Dad the day he married my mum.

2 comments:

J said...

Eeewww! I know what you mean, I had a playmate last year who made me uncomfortable for a reason I couldn't quite put my finger on .. then I realised she reminded me of my sister. Eeewww!

Anonymous said...

Scary isn't it and yet there is something so familiar about them that it is relaxing.