Thursday, November 6

Bikie Babe

About three hours after the not-boyfriend left my place last Sunday and I was just sitting down to dinner, his name appeared on my ringing mobile phone.

I picked it up and asked, ‘what do want?’ in a sarcastic tone.

A small female voice said, ‘this is Mary*, Bob^ has been in a motorbike accident.’

My heart and stomach hit the floor with a thud. The saliva dried in my mouth and I broke out in a cold sweat.

I asked, and feared the worse, ‘Is he OK?’

I was reassured he was, but neither the less I put my uneaten corn beef and pickle sandwich down, and called a taxi.

I spent the next four and half hours cradling his head and watching as he talked to himself in silence and occasionally let out a ‘fuckin’ hell’ and shook from shock. He had only one injury to speak of, a cut under his chin from the helmet strap that required two stitches. All bruising was invisible. But the hospital did x-rays and a CT when his pupils didn’t dilate, turned out to be concussion. I've been to see him twice this week after work and he's nearly stopped beating himself up about it.

The bike and the car he hit were write-offs.

But the whole thing showed me I do still have a heart and I can still give a damn. My recent playing around has had me doubting. Just because I haven’t fallen head over in heels in love with him, I still care. And frankly the thought that he might be badly injured or worse, dead, filled me with a dread that was almost too much to bear.


*name changed to protect the innocent
^name changed to protect the not so innocent

2 comments:

Susan's Pet said...

Often it takes adversity to make us realize that we care about others. You have experienced a potentially devastating situation, and responded as any compassionate human would. Events like this make me think about all the good things that I have and I could lose in a moment.

Anonymous said...

LRB what a shocking thing to happen. It's great that he wasn't seriously hurt but an absolute kick in the guts for you both. I trust you are both recovering from the shock.